Wednesday, August 12, 2009

another summer blog

So Hei said to me, let's cook but not anything fried. Apparently, earlier that Sunday afternoon we went to Green Tea Cafe on Mott Street and had deep fried chicken strips, deep fried squid, scallion pancake and Portuguese Chicken on rice. I had some pork loin I defrosted the night before and we went to a Chinese supermarket and got a salmon fillet (boneless) and did something with it. I did make a simple asparagus dish with onions and chicken broth but it didn't make the cut (no pun intended).

So I put on some soy sauce and salt and pepper with some cajun seasoning to this pork loin. One of the things I learned when cooking is.....DON'T trim the FAT. Now I don't say this because I like fatty stuff (partially true) but the fat keeps the meat tender and moist. You can trim it later if you want. Since this is a fried free dinner (partially broken in the next entree), I broiled the pork loin. I really wanted that browning on the pork. Unless you put something sweet on it, it will not burn the outside. It tasted delicious.





The next dish is a salmon that I've made before but didn't get a chance to blog. I patted the salmon nice and dry and seasoned with salt and pepper and SUGAR(!?!) Yea, sugar cuts down a little bit of the acid of the salt and pepper but still retains the saltyness. It's a great thing to add to seafood. Anyways, I did fry the skin side first. Like I said, it's almost a fried free meal. But after attempting to crisp the skin a little, I turned it over and threw the salmon in a 400 degree oven. In the meantime, I had some soy sauce marinade garlic and onions with some sugar and sauteed it till the soy sauce was reduced and concentrated. There was an issue with this dish though. I used onions when I should have used shallots. Chunks of shallots tend to keep shape and texture better than the onion. Other than that, a delicious tasting salmon with a wonderful sauce.

No comments: