Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Birthday to me

We went to Fette Sau in Williamsburg part of Brooklyn. It's located at 354 Metropolitan Avenue.



Here is today's menu. Apparently, the menu changes every day. Pork belly, beef rib, brisket.....OH YEA!!



This was our back wall. This goes to show that meat = education



This is my meal: .5lb pork belly, .25lb brisket, .5lb boneless pork rib, bottle of orange soda, 2 bread buns. (I asked the guy if the boneless rib was the same meat from the short rib. He says this is actually not as dry as the short rib. Jackpot!!! .5lb for me.)



This is Hei's meal: brisket, pork belly and sweet sausage with lemon lime soda and bread.



And this is the birthday party. I don't think we could have fit any more people. It was tight sitting in there.



Result: At first, I was disappointed the menu was so small. On the website, they have options of pork cheek and other stuff but only had a few items here today. I had high expectations of the pork belly. It seemed that we got a very lean piece of pork belly. The meat wasn't as pink as with other smoked pork meats you might have. It was very white. The boneless rib was the best dish. At some bbq places, they charge the same price WITH the bone. I probably could have eaten the boneless rib without a knife since it was so tender. The sausage was ok. The brisket was good in my opinion because it's hard to get good, soft, and juicy brisket. Most of the meats were somewhat under-seasoned. That's ok if you truly enjoy the pure meat flavor. But this was a problem in the pork belly as well. It was a good try. I prefer Hillcountry USA better. Next post will compare the two when David joins Hei and I in 2 weeks at Hillcountry (ok, maybe more than two weeks).

Side note: thanks to Libby for the yummy homemade dessert.

No comments: