Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Savory Cupcake?

Expectation is an interesting thing.
We have all kinds of expectations in life,
and many of them associate with stereotypes.

If i say 'cupcake,' what comes to your mind?
Whatever flavor it is, it's quite likely to be sweet, yay?

That's why this Sour Cream Cupcake experiment
was so interesting.

Some appreciated this, but some did not.

Besides the mere taste factor,
I think it has a lot to do with expectations.
When I told people I gave them cupcakes,
they believed it'd be sweet --
(or even too sweet, as most cupcakes are...)

However, I did not add sugar into the mix at all.
The Sour Cream cupcake recipe did not call for much,
except lots of sour cream & some butter.

(You see how short the instructions on the paper are?)














I wasn't sure how people would take a 'non-sweet' cupcake,
so i decided to try things out,
and added a dozen mini-marshmallows to each cup.














Thinking back, that might have been a mistake.














After the oven drill, they puffed up very beautifully...
& looked almost like a biscuit 0_o?!














After re-evaluation, I decided this:
a) If i were to make this a sweet cupcake,
i shall add sugar to the mix,
even though the recipe omitted it.
b) If i were to add marshmallows,
I would lay it in the middle of the mix,
instead of the bottom.
c) I shall try to make it a real savory one next time,
with cheese & salt... & maybe bacon?

Whatever I try next time,
maybe i need to let people know --
what it looks like --
might not necessarily be what they expect it to be.

No comments: